• Current: Honorary secretary of EuroELSO
• 2019: Honorary fellowship of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organisation
• 2018: Honorary member of the Hungarian Society of Cardiology
• 2015: Chairman of 4th International EuroELSO Congress in Regensburg/Germany
• since 2014: Member of the Executive Committee of International ECMOnet
• since 2011: Member of the Steering Committee EURO ELSO, Devices and Techniques Committee Chairman
• 2012: Habilitation "Organ protection by extracorporeal organ replacement in severe adult respiratory failure"
• since 2003: Consultant of Pneumology
• since 2002: Consultant of Intensive Care Medicine, Head of the Intensive Care Unit
• since 1997: Member of the Clinic and Polyclinic for Internal Medicine II, current Director Prof. Dr. L. Maier, former Director Prof. Dr. G. Riegger, University Hospital Regensburg
• 1989 – 1997: Internship, SHO and registrar in Surgery and Internal Medicine in the Community Hospitals of Waldsassen and Waldmünchen,
• 1982 – 1989: Medical School Friedrich–Alexander–Universität, Erlangen, Germany, University College Dublin, Ireland
Clinical and research focus:
• His special professional interests include the treatment of severe acute lung failure and the management of patients post resuscitation.
• Since 1996 his department is engaged in the optimization of miniaturized ECMO devices in use for severe ARDS, circulatory failure and CO2 removal. A focus of research is set on a better understanding of complications of ECLS.
Key published article:
• Long-Term Survival in Adult Patients With Severe Acute Lung Failure Receiving Veno-Venous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation